Mission and Vision
Reader’s Digest Partners for Sight Foundation (RDPFS) is dedicated to fostering the independence of people who are blind and visually impaired.
We envision an accessible and inclusive world where people who are blind and visually impaired have the tools, resources and opportunity to lead independent and fulfilling lives.
For more information, please visit our website Partners for Sight.
The Board supports and approves the work of Reader’s Digest Partners for Sight Foundation and provides mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by the Executive Director (ED), the Board-ED relationship is a partnership, with the appropriate oversight, supervision, responsiveness and involvement of the Board as needed to ensure implementation of the goals and objectives of RDPFS.
- Expectations and Responsibilities of Individual Directors:
- Know the Foundation’s mission, policies, programs, and needs
- Be informed about, and meet, all legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Prepare for, attend, and actively participate in all regular and special meetings of the board
- Review outcomes and metrics created by RDPFS for evaluating its impact, and regularly measure its performance and effectiveness
- Participate in creation and critical review of the annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions
- Act as an ambassador for the Foundation and identify partnerships necessary for RDPFS to achieve its mission
- Assist the Governance Committee in identifying and recruiting new Directors
- Actively contribute as a member of one or more committees including special assignments
- Maintain confidentiality about all internal matters related to the Foundation
Terms and Participation
Directors currently serve one-year terms and are elected annually. New Directors may be added at any time upon nomination of governance committee and approval of the Board. Board meetings are held quarterly.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about RDPFS’s mission and wishes to make a significant contribution to the community of people who are blind or visually impaired.
Candidates will have the following qualifications:
- A commitment to and understanding of RDPFS’s mission, preferably based on experience
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of RDPFS’s beneficiaries
- Be at least 18 years of age
- RDPFS encourages annual donations from its Directors
- Service on RDPFS’s Board of Directors is without remuneration, except for administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to Board duties